The eXTra finGer

...''He was counting on his fingers.One two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven.Eleven?Had he been born with an extra finger?''...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Italy

...& visit my web sites: Claudio Parentela's Official Site ''Claudio Parentela:Contemporary Art with a Freakish Taste!'' Lights&Shadows Disturbing Black Inks http://www.myspace.com/claudioparentela

Google

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Interview with Alicia J.Rose

q)Name?

a)Alicia J. Rose


q)How did you get started making art?

a)I started playing music and making photographs around the time I was 19…at first both were hobbies…but my music developed a life of its own after I started playing the accordion – and I became known as Miss Murgatroid. I have made 5 albums, including an upcoming collaboration with violinist Petra Haden that is due out in the Spring called “Hearts & Daggers”. Photography has always been a parallel passion for me. My father gave me my first Olympus OM-10 when I went to college. I dabbled a bunch, until I took a photojournalism class and learned how to use the darkroom – and the camera. I took to it very naturally. I became a “professional”- so to speak, in the last few years, after I took a sabbatical from being a touring musician and developed a healthy fascination with medium format photography. The Decemberists as well as a few other musician pals knew that I loved photography, and asked me to help them out with band photos…the rest is history..so to speak.


q)How would you describe your art?

a)Emotionally choreographed provocative in-camera images Rich, saturated, colourful, imaginative, fancy photographs that are made the old fashioned way – using actual film and beautiful optics and the science of light. I like to think that my best morsels are the shots that are so vivid I want to jump right into them.

q)Where do you get the inspiration for you’re art?

a)From the people around me, the ideas in my head, daydreams, memories, life experience and everything about Portland, OR. Especially the mossy trees and the often spooky and dramatic weather. Oh, and my handsome cat Charlie Rose.

q)What other artists inspire you?

a)On the photography side of the fence: Loretta Lux, Diane Arbus, Annie Leibovitz, Nan Goldin, Steven Meisel, Helmut Newton…
I am friends with many artists that have blown my mind and encouraged me to become an artist, like: Bwana Spoons, Craig Thompson, Christine Shields, Christiane Cegavske, Holcombe Waller, Jason Mecier, Margaret Keane, Jaina Davis, Mark Ryden, Edward Gorey, and Petra Haden (of course – she is my favorite musical collaborator), and many more.
q)Where can someone purchase your works?

a)Through the end of January – my Fairytales show is on display – including limited edition framed/unframed prints that are available for sale via
www.grasshutcorp.com. Or they can email me directly – rubyconq@aol.com - to purchase work, or to inquire about commissions.

q)What is your main medium/s of choice?

a)1929 Dallape Anderson System Accordion
Hasselblad 503 CW

q)What are you working on now?

a)I just finished printing, curating, framing and hanging my Fairytales show – that is on display at Grass Hut Gallery in Portland, OR through January 28…but I am constantly making portraits for remarkable bands and compelling humans, I have shoots coming up with at least 4 Portland combos, including Talkdemonic, Loch Lomond, The Prids and Sutro. I’m almost finished with my 3rd season of portraits for Oregon Ballet Theatre’s – www.obt.org Who’s Your Dancer campaign. I’m getting into more crossover commercial projects and continuing work on my Fairytales series…which I hope someday to expand and turn into a beautiful book. Know any good publishers?

q)What advice could you give to someone who wants to be an artist?’

a)All it takes to make art is to have an idea and act upon it. Make something first, ask questions later. Multitasking helps. Collaboration rules. Momentum rocks. Inspiration is essential.

q) What are you doing when you are not creating art?

a)My day job is as talent buyer/booker/promoter at Doug Fir Lounge – a wonderful live music venue in Portland, OR. I am also guest curator/interviewer for a radio show called Live Wire – here in Portland –
www.livewireradio.org. Otherwise, I am out and about a lot in Portland. The food, music, art and film scenes are tremendous.

q) What does music, in its entirety, mean to you?

a)Everything. Besides being a working musician and 20 year veteran of the music biz, I am a totally obsessive, rabid music fan. I think having such a passionate relationship with music has helped me become a better photographer. I try to capture the essence of a bands music when I take their photograph. I want the bands I work with to have strong visual imagery to compliment their music and help them make more fans along the way

q) What does art, in its entirety, mean to you?

a)Life. Everything I do I try to do in an artful way. But art has helped expand my consciousness and enabled me to see the world in so many wonderful ways. Thank god for the imagination of artists.

q) Are there some web sites that You would like to recomend? Artists, art communities, xxx,...!?

www.grasshutcorp.com
www.dootdootgarden.com
www.dougfirlounge.com
www.itsnicethat.com
www.ultrapdx.com
www.livewireradio.org
www.obt.org





1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

theextrafinger.blogspot.com is very informative. The article is very professionally written. I enjoy reading theextrafinger.blogspot.com every day.

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home