The eXTra finGer

...''He was counting on his fingers.One two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven.Eleven?Had he been born with an extra finger?''...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Italy

...& visit my web sites: Claudio Parentela's Official Site ''Claudio Parentela:Contemporary Art with a Freakish Taste!'' Lights&Shadows Disturbing Black Inks http://www.myspace.com/claudioparentela

Google

Friday, March 23, 2007

Interview with Erin Anfinson

q) Introduce yourself first please?

a)My name is Erin Anfinson.

q) Where do you live and work?

a)I live and work in Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

q) How did you started? How have you realized you wanted to become an artist?

a)I think I always really liked making art throughout my childhood. My grandmother painted a lot of landscapes when I was really young and seeing her work in her studio definitely had some early influence on my aspirations to become an artist.

q) What materials do you use and why?

a)I’ve used a variety of materials, but I primarily make my work in acrylic. I like to use acrylic for its fast drying time.

q) Who is your biggest influence, both art and non-art related

a)I don’t think I have one singular influence in terms of art. It definitely changes as my work evolves. Recently I’ve been looking at some landscape prints by Hiroshige. Non-art influences also vary quite a lot. There’s the usual movies, books, and images I find, but right now I’ve been most inspired by watching the landscape, birds and other creatures in my backyard.

q) How do you dream up with your wacky ideas? What is your creation process?

a)A lot of my work starts on the computer by digitally collaging the various visual elements of each painting until I get a composition that works together. When I find something that works, I transfer it to a larger painting.


q) What haven’t you done yet that you definitely want to try someday?

a)Definitely travel some more.

q) Are there any contemporary artists that you love?

a)At the moment, Tom Friedman, Kara Walker, Shazia Sikander…just a few.

q) How long does it take for you to finish a piece?

a)A couple of weeks if I get some good studio time in.

q) What music, if any, do you like to have on while you're working?

a)I’ve been listening to a lot of NPR radio shows while I work on the weekend days. There’s a few I really enjoy.

q) Do you do many art shows?

a)It varies from year to year, but I try to keep busy and have several booked throughout the year.



q) Tell us about a recent dream you had.

a)I’ve been having really vivid dreams lately. One of the more memorable is having a conversation with an old college friend on the phone and then having him magically transport through the phone line and tumble out of the receiver into my kitchen. That was odd…

q) What are you doing when you are not creating?

a)Right now I stay extremely busy with my teaching job, but I like to read, cook and hang out with my husband.

q) Do you get emotionally attached to your work and do you miss your work when it is sold?

a)I guess there’s a few pieces I think about once in awhile, but that strong attachment usually fades after a work is finished. I’m always anxious to move on to the next thing!



q) What new projects or exhibits are in your future?

a)I’m about to send work to a 3-person show at Ruby Green Contemporary Art Center in Nashville (http://www.rubygreen.org) and I will be in another exhibition this summer at TAG Art Gallery, also in Nashville, TN.

q) What is your favourite art related web site?

a)It seems like lately I’ve just been seeing some of what’s been happening in the art world at the NY Times website
http://www.nytimes.com/pages/arts/design/index.html

q) What is the strangest thing you have ever seen?

a)I saw a dog not only ride the train in Athens Greece, but also meet another dog at station. When the train door opened, the dog on the train walked out, met the dog on the platform and then they trotted away together.

q) What is the strangest thing you have ever done?

a)I just played my friend’s new Nintendo Wii the other day and virtually boxed someone—It was really strange and fun, but my arms are still sore.



q) any advice you can pass onto aspiring artists/designers?

a)Try to get in your studio as often as you can and get to know the art community where you live.

q)your contacts….e-mail…links

a)website: http://www.erinanfinson.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home