The eXTra finGer

...''He was counting on his fingers.One two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven.Eleven?Had he been born with an extra finger?''...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Italy

...& visit my web sites: Claudio Parentela's Official Site ''Claudio Parentela:Contemporary Art with a Freakish Taste!'' Lights&Shadows Disturbing Black Inks http://www.myspace.com/claudioparentela

Google

Friday, August 25, 2006

Interview with Kollar Anderson


Q) So, can you tell me a little about yourself? Full name, age, some background info, etc?

A)Amy Katherine Kollar Anderson, age 32I grew up in the Chicago suburbs, lived in Chicago for four years and moved to Dayton, OH eleven years ago. Now I live with my husband and our four cats. I went to The School of the Art Institute of Chicago for my BFA and Wright State for my MH. I love to shop at thrift stores, playing in my yard, finding natural wonders and hanging out with my nephews.

Q) How did you get started making art?

A)I have always made art.

Q) How would you describe your art?

A)Personal narratives inspired by Surrealism, Symbolism, Sci-fi and Lowbrow.

Q) Where do you get the inspiration for your art?

A)The subject matter is inspired by a variety of sources: nature, dreams, culture, animals or my personal life. I look at the world around me, absorb it, then create images that are a mixture of these elements and internal inspirations.



Q) What are you working on now?

A)I am working on a 38"x32" self-portrait that will be covered in crazy patterns. The progress can be seen in the Lowdow'>http://www.kollaranderson.com/lowdown/?p=41">Lowdow section of my site.I also plan to work on some pieces for the CD Release party (October 13) for the band Sleepybird. I did the art for their new album.

Q) Are there some web sites that you would like to recomend? Artists, art communities,

A)I am a fan of DeviantArt.com and Nervousness.org. Modern Postcard (www.modernpostcard.com) has always been good to me and they produce great show cards. www.painterskeys.com has the largest collection of art quotes I have ever seen. Juxtapoz Magazine is a great source for seeing new artists and galleries. I have to plug Parables Visions Magazine because they featured me and because they have a great publication.

Q) What programs / materials / tools do you use to create your pieces?

A)Last year, I switched from oil to acrylic paints in preparation for teaching. The quick dry times and variety of alternative mediums that acrylics offered, ideally lent itself to my style of painting. To begin a painting, I stretch and prime the canvas. The initial sketch is usually done with a thin layer of paint, to which I add blocks of color to cover the surface. At this point, I alternate between thin glazes and thin layers of opaque paint to build up the lights and shadows and to create the details. I try to record the progress of all of my paintings and post the progress on my site. I think it is fun and educational to see how much a piece changes. One of my most detailed records is of the piece http://www.kollaranderson.com/lowdown/?p=28" I describe the different layers and show detail images of the finished piece.



Q) What advice would you give to younger up and coming artist?

A)Practice • Participate • Promote
Practice your craftsmanship and experiment with materials. This includes researching artists and asking questions. Listen and learn from others, but trust yourself. Do what you like and make what you are.Participate in shows and local galleries. Do internships in whatever form is available. If there isn't something in your area...create it!Promote yourself and others. This includes creating a website or using a site that you can post your work on like Deviant Art, keeping record of all of your accomplishments, hand out business cards, make a resume, enter shows, etc. Network!


Q) What is your personal definition of life and art and everything else in between?

A)Ummm...Life is strange, Art is happiness and everything in between is squished? I have no idea how to answer that question. :)

Q) Do you think that art is a universal language - transcending all the different languages, cultures and religions etc?

A)That is such a big question and my simple answer is YES.



Q) What are your artistic influences?

A)My studio has a huge influence on me. It is a room in my home where I can create still-lifes out of crazy stuff, where the cats hang out and where chaos has a home.

Q) How are the reactions on your work in general?

A)Mostly positive. A lot of people around here tell me they like my style but not my subject matter.

Q) Do you have many connections in the underground scene?

A)Don't think so, but someone please tell me if I do!

Q) Tell us about a recent dream you had.

A)These were from last night/this morning:I was hiking in the mountains with my husband and our friend that does a lot of hiking in the mountains of Las Vegas. There were lots of tight spots, great views and creepy clifts. I think we were all drunk and I was afraid someone might fall. At some point I was stuck in a rickety old wooden coal mine elevator with two of my cats, Proffit and Gash. I was afraid they would get hurt, but we got out safely.Then the dream changed to my bedroom in Dayton. A different friend and his friend had thrown globs of goo and containers of juice against our bedroom wall. I was really pissed and was trying to pull down the containers without making more of a mess.I was in a classroom picking up some materials. At this point I thought I was a student, but then I realized I was supposed to be the teacher and I didn't know the subject matter. The room was semi-dark with an overhead projector running and the students were getting annoyed with me. I looked down at a paper I was holding and it contained the date and the subject matter but I couldn't read it.You would guess I am a little stressed, but most of my dreams are like these.

Q) What is freedom to you as an artist?

A)As an artist, I guess freedom is being able to create what I want. I don't really push any controversial boundaries so I don't come against people challenging my freedom.

Q) Are there any particular works you've done that stand out as your favorites?

A)I have a few and they change all the time. I think "Vision", "Swarm" and "Worm Wine" are probably my favs right now.



Q) Last Books you read?

A)My husband is currently reading "From the Corner of His Eye" by Dean Koontz out loud to me. He is such a sweetie! This way I can enjoy a book and paint at the same time!

Q) Last records you bought?

A)We pretty much download to our ipods...I think the last one was either "Death Cab for Cutie" or "Built to Spill."

Q) Who are your favourite artists & Your favourite galleries?

A)This could be a bigger list, but in no order: Camille Rose Garcia, Chris Mars, De Es, Doze Green, Elizabeth Mcgrath, Glenn Barr, Isabel Samaras, Jeff Soto, Jennifer Angus, Joe Sorren, Judith Schaechter, Kamala Dolphin Kingsley, Ken Keirns, Kurt Halsey, Laurie Lipton, Mark Ryden, Mars-1, Michael Hussar, Ray Caesar, Roberto Matta, Scott Musgrove, Tiffany Bozic, Tim Biskup, Todd Schorr, Hans Bellmer, Carrie Ann Baade, Salvador Dali, Albert Moore, Lee Bontecou, Alexis Rockman, Bernard Dumaine, Shayna McConville, Edward Gorey, Scott D.U. Gibbs, Lithium Picnic, Travis Louie...Ok, I should stop, but there are so many great artists out there!Not sure about galleries, but I know there are tons of good ones.

Q) Your contacts….E-mail…Links

A)E-mail is on my site http://www.kollaranderson.com

1 Comments:

Blogger Andrew McAllister said...

That was interesting. Thanks!

Andrew
"To Love, Honor and Dismay"

4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home